ABOUT ENGINEER BATTALION
The PNGDF Engineers since its inception into the PNGDF from PIR Assault Pioneer Platoons on 1st September 1976 has started off very well under the command of the Australian Army then. Since the Formation of the PNGDF Engineer Corp on the 01st September 1976, the Corp has a directorate and an operational unit. The PNGDF Directorate of Engineer’s core function is basically logistics support to the PNGDF in infrastructure requirements and engineer technical advice. The PNGDF Engineer Battalion’s core function is to provide Field Engineer combat support to PNGDF and carry out selected tasks in aid of PNG government for nation building and civil emergencies. Over the last 40 years of the PNGDF Engineer Corp’s history, the Corp has successfully conducted and delivered more than 900 vertical and horizontal civic action projects mostly in the remote parts of PNG fulfilling PNGDF Core Task 3.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• In military the primary role of PNGDF Engineers is to provide geospatial, mobility, counter-mobility, survivability and sustainability support to the PNGDF.
• The secondary role of PNGDF Engineers is to fight as infantry.
• The National Government also outlined the roles and functions of the PNG Defence Force (PNGDF) according to section 202 of the National Constitution. That is to defend PNG and its sovereignty; assist in the fulfilment of PNG’s international obligations; provide assistance in the restoration of public order and security; provide for humanitarian assistance and disaster response; and to contribute to national development tasks.
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE (CURRENT)
DIRECTORATE OF ENGINEER STRUCTURE AND MANNING
ENGINEER BATTALION STRUCTURE AND MANNING
TRAINING FIELD ENGINEER WING STRUCTURE AND MANNING
The Garrison Engineer (GE) units are located in all PNGDF establishments throughout the country. Below is the structure and manning of the GE units in all establishments.
GARRISON ENGINEER SOUTH (GE) UNITS STRUCTURE & MANNING
GARRISON ENGINEER NORTH (GE) UNITS STRUCTURE & MANNING
OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
The PNGDF Engineers have also been involved in force scheduled exercise, operations and engineer programs. Such activities include:
• Exercise Pukpuk conducted annually;
• Exercise Kumul Exchange;
• Over 900 vertical and horizontal construction projects executed since inception in 1st Sep 1976. • Currently engaged in the Baiyer – Madang road project.
|PNGDF Engineering Battalion Personnel at work|